Motorcycles Could Get OK To Go Through Red Lights

SPRINGFIELD — Motorcycle riders could go straight on red under a proposal rumbling through the General Assembly.

In action Wednesday, the Illinois Senate voted 43-12 in favor of allowing the driver of a motorcycle to proceed through a red light which fails to turn green within a “reasonable period of time.”

Motorcycle rights groups say motorcycle riders can sometimes get stuck at a red light for several light cycles because the lighter weight of the two-wheel vehicles won’t trigger sensors that cause stoplights to change at some intersections.

A number of senators who ride motorcycles said getting stuck at red lights equipped with the sensors is not uncommon.

“I ride a motorcycle, so I have been there before,” said state Sen. Gary Forby, D-Benton, who sponsored the legislation.

Read more..

 

Daytona’s 2012 Bike Week To Compete With College Spring Break

Last month NASCAR said they intended to schedule the Daytona 500 a week later in the year.  At that time, there was widespread speculation that the Daytona 200 motorcycle race would also have to be pushed back a week since the track needs a week to make the changes.  Officials with Daytona International Speedway confirmed that next year’s motorcycle-racing schedule will take place a week later on the calendar.

That means the race will fall in the window of March 9th -18th with Spring break for most colleges typically falling on the 3rd week in March, putting the two in direct competition for hotel motel rooms in the Daytona Beach area.

One possible solution that has been mentioned is to separate the races from Bike Week but critics of that proposal say that the manufacturers who participate in the Daytona 200 will not accept that as an option.

Right now the 2012 dates have been announced and all the parties in Daytona are taking a “let’s see what happens” approach to next year’s bike week.

Sutter to Echostar: “Whores”

Dish network Son's Fans upset over dispute

Hollywood CA  The creator / director of the FX biker drama Sons of Anarchy announced on his twitter feed that the show has been picked up for a fourth season, but that’s little consolation for the millions of Dish subscribers who discovered in October that Son’s had been pulled from the network in a carriage dispute.  Kurt Sutter, never one to mince words, called the satalite company “whores.”

Sutter says, “DUMP DISH!” You’re already paying more for FX than every other cable/satellite company in the free world.  Echostar are whores.  Get out now.

A Fox statement called its proposal “fair and in line with the tremendous value we provide” and said “Dish has asserted its subscribers do not value our channels and has made a decision to go forward without them.”

Dave Shull, Dish Network’s senior vice president of programming for Dish Network, said in a statement that his company’s customers shouldn’t “be held hostage in order to finance Fox’s irresponsible acquisition of sports rights,” especially in a tough economy

There is no doubt that if the dispute with Dish isn’t resolved, Sons of Anarchy and other FX shows will suffer a ratings decline.  Currently Dish has over 13 million subscribers.  FX network is using the web to get its message out that Dish is being unreasonable.  The website www.getwhatyoupaidfor.com was created by News Corp to give their side of the dispute.